The Samuel Merritt University Institutional Review Board (IRB) reviews research projects to ensure that two broad standards are upheld: first, that subjects are not placed at undue risk; and second, that they give uncoerced, informed consent to their participation. With representation from a wide range of scientific disciplines and from outside the academic community, the IRB gives timely but individualized attention to the numerous research projects at the University.
IRB Submission Deadlines:
Full committee review: The deadline is the first working day of the month. The IRB meets monthly, as needed, except for the months of August and December.
Expedited review: Proposals can be submitted at any time.
Exempt review: Proposals can be submitted at any time.
Regardless of how research is funded, any University research requires IRB review if:
• it uses humans, human tissue, or data gathered on human subjects; and
• it is performed by University faculty, students, or staff; on University premises; with University equipment; or on University faculty, students, or staff.
• it is performed by University faculty, students, or staff at Alta Bates Summit Medical Center. NOTE: You must also get IRB approval from Alta Bates Summit Medical Center, and submit proof of Alta Bates Summit IRB approval to the Samuel Merritt University IRB.
- Link to investigator training (NIH and CITI)
- Instructions and General Information
- Protocol Submission Checklist
- Experimental Subject's Bill of Rights
- Types of IRB Review
- Protocol Approval Form
- Sample Consent Form
- Protocol Format
- Gail Widener's March 29, 2012 Research Rounds presentation ("The Nuts and Bolts of Submitting a Successful IRB Application").
- Main Reasons for IRB Delay
Investigators conducting research are responsible for reporting any unanticipated problems or adverse events involving risks to research participants. Please submit a written report of any such problems by filling out the Adverse Event Report Form and submitting it to the IRB Administrator immediately.
If your study is now complete, please fill out the Final Report Form and submit it to the IRB Administrator.