What is Respondus LockDown Browser?
Respondus LockDown Browser is a custom browser that locks down the testing environment for online exams in Canvas. It is compatible with both Windows and MAC operating systems. Windows: XP, Vista, and Windows 7; MAC: OS X 10.3.9 or higher.
Respondus LockDown Browser:
Prevents printing, copying, going to other URLs, or accessing other applications during a test
Disables task switching, print screen, screen capture, function keys, and right-click menu options
Blocks instant messaging, screen-sharing and network monitoring applications
Respondus Lockdown Browser (LDB) is installed on all SMU lab and library computers and is available for installation on students' personal computers for use off campus. When you select Respondus LockDown Browser as a quiz option, students will not be able to use a standard web browser such as IE or Firefox to take the quiz. Instead, students must first open Respondus LockDown Browser, log on to Canvas and then navigate to the online quiz. Respondus LockDown Browser is also useful if you want to offer a specified period when students can review a previously submitted online quiz. LDB prevents students from printing or copying the exam with the answers or feedback.
How to enable Respondus LockDown Brower?
Step One: Create a Quiz in Canvas.
When Respondus LockDown Browser is enabled, the quiz page will indicate Respondus LockDown Browser is required. It is recommended that you use a Locked After date for all Graded Quizes.
Recommendations for Graded Quizes
- Create a sample exams for students to test the browser set up after downloading the browser.
- Enter a Locked After date. This is likely the same as the Due Date. A Locked After date ensures that student do not have access to the quiz beyond the due date.
- Require Respondus LockDown Browser to review quiz results
- If you selected the option Let Students See their Quiz Responses, remove this option after the review period or before the course ends.
- Include an Online Exam Policy in your syllabus and an Academic Integrity agreement/question in each exam.
- Be sure your students have the Canvas support number: 888.233.7764.