The history of Alpha Gamma Kappa Fraternity lies deep in the roots of our nation's podiatric medical colleges. Existing as the oldest and largest professional fraternity within podiatric medicine, AGK has long held a fraternal tradition of excellence.
In the winter of 1939 on January 21st, eight men at the Illinois College of Chiropody and Orthopedics (now the Dr. William M. Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine) in Chicago, Illinois, founded a fraternity for the purposes of "social spirit and fraternalism." It was the first of its kind at a college of podiatric medicine, and quickly the small social club grew into one of the most prominent organizations at the institution.
In April of 1939, in the earliest recorded minutes that are possessed, the Alpha Gamma Kappa Fraternity at the Illinois College of Chiropody and Orthopedics had some nineteen members, with Samuel Abdoo being elected first President. Abdoo would later go on to serve as President of the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons from 1968-1969. According to the minutes, the young Fraternity had one hundred nineteen dollars in their name and dues were a mere $5 per year.
The fraternity remained a large part of the student community at Illinois for the next several years, until in 1948 a second chapter (Beta Chapter) was chartered at the Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine in Cleveland, Ohio. The chapter was inspired by several students whom had met at national convention of the NAC (National Association of Chiropodists) in that year and prompted several young men at Ohio to begin a chapter of AGK. Alpha Gamma Kappa had officially become a national fraternity.