UDAC (University Diversity Action Council)
UNIVERSITY DIVERSITY ACTION COUNCIL (UDAC)
The University Diversity Action Council (UDAC) provides leadership for achieving the University’s Strategic Goal of “institutionalizing a culture that is diverse, equitable and inclusive.” This is accomplished by guiding the implementation of the University’s Diversity Plan (2012-2015), conducting ongoing evaluation of progress of the achievement of Diversity Plan goals, educating the University community, making relevant policy recommendations to the President, and shaping future Diversity Plans. As a Council, we will embody in our process the community we aspire to create.
ROLE AND FUNCTION
- Establishes structures and processes that develop University-wide ownership of the Diversity Plan.
- Assesses institutional, divisional and program accountability for achieving Diversity Plan Action Steps.
- Sets benchmarks, in collaboration with appropriate divisions and programs that drive recruitment of diverse student, faculty, and executives.
- Designs processes for recognizing units and individuals demonstrating progress in advancing diversity & inclusion at SMU.
- Champions diversity, equity, and inclusion through education, critical dialogues, and advocacy.
- Recommends policies to the President.
OUTCOMES AND PRODUCTS
- Policy statements as approved by President.
- Quarterly reports to President's Council.
- Quarterly reports to the University community, with regular updates provided on SMU’s Diversity web site.
- Annual report to UPAC that summarizes progress of implementation of Diversity Plan.
- Programs that promote cultural responsiveness and inclusivity.
Membership in UDAC is representative of programs, divisions and departments throughout the University, and includes students. Individual Council appointments are recommendations made by the vice-presidents, deans, and program chairs to the President. Student appointees should be named in consultation with officers of the Student Body Association (SBA). Members are also considered liaisons to their respective divisions and programs, responsible for communicating UDAC agenda and assisting divisions and programs in identifying and implementing Diversity Action Steps.
Members of the University Diversity Action Council will serve for three years.
UDAC will be co-chaired by the Chief Diversity Officer (CDO) and a senior administrator (vice-president, dean, program director, or chair) and will meet at least six times a year. Minutes and agendas are sent to members electronically and made available online to the University community at http://www.samuelmerritt.edu/diversity/udac. Members of the SMU community wishing to address specific issues with UDAC may do so by contacting their liaison, the Chief Diversity Officer or Associate Director of Office of Diversity & Inclusion.
UDAC reports to the President.
UDAC advises the Diversity Assembly