Facilities FAQs

FAQ Sections:

The Cherwell Service Desk Express system can be accessed through the SMU webpage. Click on the Helpdesk link, and then click Submit a Helpdesk Request. You will be taken directly to the Cherwell Service Desk Express system where you can submit a Facilities Request (work order).

NOTE: Some Facilities Requests require additional forms.  See either Services OR Forms and Documents (tabs on the left side of this page) for additional forms.



Work Order FAQ

If I need to place a work order, why can't I just call Facilities instead of using Cherwell Service Desk Express?

The Facilities Department must have a means by which to track all work orders received. The Cherwell Service Desk Express system allows the Facilities Department to track how we are serving the University community. We cannot track phone calls or emails. Please submit all work order requests through Cherwell Service Desk Express.

NOTE:  Call Facilities directly when there is an emergency (i.e., toilet overflowing, flood, fire, electrical problems, etc).

If my office is too cold or too hot, should I just call Engineering directly?

No.  All work orders should be processed through the Facilities department. This provides the Engineering department with a single point of contact for all work orders.

I have a light out in my closet. Can I replace it myself?

No.  Submit a work order through Cherwell Service Desk Express.  Facilities will contact the Engineering department to complete the request.  For safety reasons, it is important that trained engineers complete ALL work requests.  Please keep in mind that there may be a serious electrical problem of which you are unaware that requires the attention of an engineering professional.

Why is it taking Engineering so long to respond to my request?

The University is not the only area serviced by the Engineering department. Their primary clients are the acute care areas of the Hospital.  All work orders from the University are received by Engineering, placed in a queue, and dispersed to the dedicated engineer for that particular area.  At times, work orders get backed up and servicing is delayed.  However, Facilities follows up frequently on ALL work orders until completion.

NOTE:  If Facilities contacts you for an update on your request, please respond ASAP to let us know that your request has been completed in a satisfactory manner. You, our internal customers, are the only voice that determines whether a work order was completed satisfactorily.

I need something hung in my office. Should I contact Engineering to handle this request?

No.  This is considered a non-routine work order.  We have an outside contractor who handles these types of requests.  Submit a work request through the Cherwell Service Desk Express, and Facilities will contact the contractor who will be assigned the work order.

My work area requires me to have an additional outlet installed near my desk. Can Facilities call an electrician to come out and take care of this for me?

Yes.  Facilities will contact an electrician and obtain a quote for the work.  A purchase requisition and purchase order may be required.  Also, if it is not related to a project, the work may be charged directly to your department's cost center.

I accidentally locked myself out of my office. Can someone in Facilities let me in my office?

No.  Samuel Merritt University Facilities Department does NOT HAVE A LOCK OUT POLICY.  If an employee is locked out of their office for any reason, a Facilities employee can only grant access to the office with a manager's approval.  Staff members are encouraged to keep office keys with them at all times to avoid a lock out situation. For liability reasons, there are absolutely NO EXCEPTIONS to this policy.

In addition, Facilities will not grant a staff or faculty member access to someone else's office without this being cleared in writing from the occupant of that office. This policy is designed to protect all faculty and staff and their belongings.

What if I lose my key? Can it be replaced and what is the cost?

If you need to replace a key, enter a Key Request through the Cherwell Service Desk Express, and fill out the additional Key Request form which may be found in the Forms folder and on the Facilities webpage under Forms and Documents.  All key requests must be signed off by a Department Supervisor/ Manager before the request can be processed.  In addition the requestor will need to come to the Facilities Department located at 3300 Webster Street, Suite 201.

NOTE:  If the Master Key is lost, the cost to re-key the affected area will be billed to the individual and not the Department. There is a $10 charge for lost office keys.

All Adjunct Professors who do not work consistently throughout the academic year must return their keys to their Department Head each semester.

I have an event coming up and I need parking vouchers for the guests.  How can I order them?

Submit a Parking Ticket Request through the Cherwell Service Desk Express, and complete the additional Parking Ticket Request Form which is located on the Facilities webpage under Forms and Documents.  All parking ticket requests must be approved by a Department Supervisor/Manager before they can be processed.  Facilities will contact you when your parking tickets are ready to be picked up.  You can pick up your parking tickets in the Facilities Department located at 3300 Webster Street, Suite 201.

back to Top



Security FAQ

Who should I call if I need escort service to my car after dark?

Call the Security Operations Center at x7847 to request an escort to your car.  We encourage you to use this service during the winter months when it gets dark earlier.

I just saw a suspicious looking person lurking in the parking lot? Who should I call?

Call Security at (510) 763-4001. Do not approach the person on your own. The situation should be handled by a security professional.

NOTE:  Save this number in your cell phone to use while on campus in case of an emergency.

Someone who does not appear to be an University employee or student is in my work area, how should I approach them?

Simply ask them, how can I help you?  If the person has a legitimate reason for being in your area, they will likely tell you.  If the person should not be there, they will at least know that someone is aware of their presence in the building and will likely leave.  Do not ignore strangers in the building.  If you feel this person is a threat, please contact Security immediately at x7847.

Someone just fell down the stairs in our building. They appear to be hurt badly. Should I call Security or 911?

Call 911 immediately for any accident where serious injury is apparent. The person may require immediate medical attention.  After calling 911, call Facilities at (510) 907-2438 and we will notify Security so that a report can be filed.

Some of my belongings are missing from my room/office. Who should I notify?

Call Security at x7847. They will notify the police to file a report.  In addition, please notify Facilities so that we are kept in the communication loop.  In the event of computer/laptop theft, call the IT/Helpdesk x6836.

back to Top



Projects FAQ

We have had some recent changes in our department that will require us to reorganize and remodel our work area. How do we go about making these changes to our area?

Please contact the Facilities Department and provide the specific scope of work for your project.  The Faclities Coordinator will obtain quotes for your project from the appropriate vendor(s), and you will be required to secure funding from your department's budget.  Next, the Facilities Department will submit a Project Expenditure Request (P.E.R.) to the finance department.  Upon obtaining the necessary approvals, the work will be scheduled and managed by the Facilities Department.

If I see the movers are on campus, can I ask them to move my furniture around in my office?

No.  All moves must be scheduled through the Facilities Department. The Facilities Department provides movers with a specific scope of work, and we must adhere to that scope in order to avoid extra moving charges.  If there are tasks in your area which require movers, please contact Facilities so that your job can be scheduled on the next move.  If you have an immediate need, please notify Facilities at least twenty-four (24) hours in advance of the time you require assistance.  The movers will be scheduled, and your cost center will be charged for the expenses related to your move.  Please note that Nor Cal Moving Services requires a four (4) hour minimum of work.

back to Top



Mail Services/Shipping FAQ

I am expecting an important package from a family member but it has not arrived. Who should I contact to locate my package?

No personal mail should be sent to the University.  We are not responsible for the receipt of personal packages or other items.

I need to ship something to one of the remote sites.  What is the latest I can get it shipped out to insure next day delivery?

All packages should be received at the Campus Service Center in West Pavilion before 3 PM to insure next day delivery.  However, we advise all faculty, staff, and students to drop off packages as early as possible to insure the most prompt delivery.  The Campus Service Center is located at 3100 Telegraph, 1st Floor, Suite 110.

I'm shipping to a location other than a remote site; can I ship it through the Campus Service Center?

Yes.  However, all packages shipped to a location (other than a remote site) require a manager's signature and the department's cost center in order to be shipped.

Our department has 1,500 pieces of mail to go out, what should I do?

If you have a bulk mailing coming up, notify the Facilities Department two (2) weeks in advance by emailing the Facilities Coordinator, Byron Weston, at bweston@samuelmerrit.edu, and he will alert the mailroom.

back to Top



EVS Requests FAQ

What does EVS do?

Environmental Services (EVS) is primarily responsible for the general cleaning (vacuuming, mopping, dusting, garbage/waste removal, etc.) lof common areas such as hallways, restrooms and corridors.  By special request,  through BMC Service Desk Express, EVS (while in session or during University breaks) will strip and wax floors and shampoo carpets in classrooms, corridors and labs throughout the campus.

The kitchen in our building is filthy. Can EVS come over and wipe down all the appliances and wash the dishes?

No.  All break rooms, lounges, and kitchen areas are the responsibility of the students, faculty, and staff who use them.  The entire University community should be mindful of keeping all appliances (refrigerators, microwaves, stoves, coffee makers, etc.) clean and presentable for the next user.

back to Top



Ergonomic Assessment FAQ

I have had major problems with my back and I need a special chair for my work area. How do I go about getting a new chair for my area?

You will need to contact your Manager to request an ergonomic assessment.  Your Manager will contact Work Hardening, and they will call you to schedule the appointment.  Work Hardening will forward the assessment results and their recommendations to your Manager and to Facilities.  Any furniture ordered will be based on the results of the assessment along with the recommendations of Work Hardening.


Requests for ergonomic assessments for University faculty and staff will align with Cal/OSHA regulations.


Samuel Merritt University (SMU) recognizes the need to support a safe work environment for faculty and staff which includes ergonomic considerations. 


  1. If a request is made to complete an ergonomic assessment with an employee who already has an RMI (Repetitive Motion Injury) worker compensation claim established, the ergonomic assessment will be completed by ABSMC Work Hardening. Charges for evaluation will be billed to the insurance company by ABSMC Work Hardening.
  2. If the employee does not have an open worker compensation claim, the employee will be advised to provide documentation from a licensed physician of a diagnosis of Repetitive Motion Injury and a recommendation from the physician for an ergonomic assessment. Forward the written diagnosis/ recommendation to the University Facilities Manager.
  3. If the employee has a Non-RMI case and needs an ergonomic evaluation for neck/shoulder pain or back strain possibly from prolonged time at their computer workstation, contact ABSMC Work Hardening (see below) to initiate a workstation ergonomic assessment.
  4. The Department Manager will contact ABSMC Work Hardening to initiate assessment.
  5. ABSMC Work Hardening will contact employee to arrange an appointment for assessment.
  6. ABSMC Work Hardening will forward evaluation/report and recommendation to Facilities Manager and Department Manager.
  7. Facilities Department will assess report and coordinate the purchase of recommended low-tech aides with the department supervisor. Each department will be billed for the purchase of ergonomic devices. Facilities will be charged for furniture (i.e., chairs)
  8. University departments will be charged by ABSMC Work Hardening for assessments or evaluations.
  9. ABSMC Work Hardening can be contacted to arrange a follow-up assessment. Each Department will be responsible for additional charges incurred.

back to Top




Request more information

Vestibulum id ligula porta felis euismod semper. Nullam id dolor id nibh ultricies vehicula ut id elit. Sed posuere consectetur est at lobortis. Donec sed odio dui.