When administering the FIST, remember...
- FIST overall description
- Give your patient the general description of the test at the start.
- Patient position
- Correct the patient's position and reposition as needed before moving onto the next item.
- Examiner position
- Position yourself to ensure patient safety and allow you to assist as the patient as needed.
- Item directions
- Describe and demonstrate each test item before scoring the patient's performance.
- Scoring criteria
- 0 to 4 score for each item
- Record physical assistance level if scoring item as 1
- min, mod, or max A
The following written resources are available for you to download.
- FIST Training Manual (pdf), version 1.5
- Documentation templates
You've completed training in the administration of the FIST. Congratulations!
Proceed to the post-training quiz to verify your understanding and assess your competency.