Student Health Requirements
Samuel Merritt University has health requirements for all incoming and enrolled students, including a physical exam and immunizations. Student Health & Counseling Services maintains all student health records and determines compliancy with these health requirements, working together with students and faculty to ensure that your records are kept up to date. Questions regarding health records, immunizations, missing documentation, or health service "holds" on academic registration must be directed to Student Health & Counseling Services at 510-869-6629.
Before registration, all entering students must provide the following documented forms and materials. All documentation needed for a student's health record is enclosed with the Admission package or can be found here: SMU Student Health Record Forms.
All forms must be submitted directly to our office via mail, fax, in person, or placed in lock box in front of our office at:
Samuel Merritt University
Student Health & Counseling Center
3100 Telegraph Avenue, Suite #303
Oakland, CA 94609
- The University Medical History and Physical Examination Form (examination conducted within 12 months preceding the University entrance date), which includes a physical exam, vision exam, urinalysis, and complete blood count.
- Two-Step Tuberculosis Screening (PPD): Must be completed within 6 months prior to the University entrance date, and will need to be updated annually. A two-step PPD is two separate PPD’s within 1-3 weeks apart. The two-step process checks for a false negative. Tuberculin (PPD) conversions will be evaluated and referred for follow-up care by the appropriate agency. Students who are exposed to a patient with tuberculosis will be screened according to Employee Health Services tuberculosis exposure policy. If there is a history of a positive PPD, students will need proof of a negative chest x-ray within 12 months prior to University entrance, date of positive PPD test, and an annual TB survey.
- Measles (Rubeola), Mumps, and Rubella: Students born in 1957 or later: documentation of receipt of two doses of MMR or positive titres for rubeola, rubella, and mumps.
- Varicella: Documentation of positive varicella titre or of two varicella vaccines received regardless of prior history of chicken pox.
- Hepatitis B: Documented proof of the Hepatitis B vaccination series (3 doses over a period of 6 months) or positive titre.
- Tetanus (tdap): Verification of a tetanus booster within the last 10 years.
Each department may have additional requirements. Any student who does not comply with the above examination and immunization policy will be prohibited from clinical experience and class attendance until she or he is in compliance. Registration for succeeding terms may be held until students provide the above documentation.