SMU Job Board View Job
Samuel Merritt University School of Nursing has adjunct clinical faculty opportunities available at campuses in Oakland, Sacramento, San Francisco and San Mateo. Adjunct clinical faculty teach nursing students during their practica in hospitals or clinical settings. These positions are ideal for working nurses who have expertise in disciplines of medical surgical nursing, critical care, pediatrics, maternity, community health or mental health nursing.
Adjunct Clinical Faculty create a positive learning environment for students in accordance with the educational objectives of the course and implement the policies identified in the course syllabus to ensure the successful achievement of course objectives.
I. Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Creates a dynamic, learner centered clinical environment that supports the diverse learning needs of the student population and that is based on educational theory, and evidence-based teaching and clinical practices.
- Models reflective and critical thinking. Serves as coach and mentor for students in the clinical setting. Confers with students on progress and assists in development of learning plans to facilitate successful achievement of course objectives.
- Meets with faculty of the course prior to the first day of clinical to review clinical and course requirements. Participates in faculty course meetings.
- Completes an appropriate clinical orientation to the site/s (if necessary) where the faculty member will be overseeing students; maintains and enhances competence in the clinical area of teaching.
- Plans clinical learning experiences that are appropriate for level of the students.
- Reviews written assignments and provides appropriate, timely, written feedback; documents student progress on appropriate forms.
- Evaluates learner performance in the clinical settings and provides ongoing feedback to students on attainment of clinical objectives.
- Completes a formal, written midterm and final evaluation on a designated form for each student.
- Notifies Course Manager of at-risk students or unusual occurrences in the clinical setting as soon as identified and at least weekly thereafter.
- Submits the students’ final clinical evaluations for filing to the Program administrative assistant.
II. Education, Qualifications and Experience:
· Masters in Nursing (preferred)
· Demonstrated current competence in clinical area
· Effective leadership and communication skills
· Past experience in clinical teaching position preferred
TO APPLY: Please send CV and letter of interest to: email@example.com or Veronica Wallace, Coordinator of Faculty Recruitment, Samuel Merritt University School of Nursing, 3100 Summit Street, 3rd Floor, Oakland, CA 94609 (phone: 510-869-6511x5757)
SMU School of Nursing is particularly interested in candidates who have experience working with students from diverse backgrounds and a demonstrated commitment to improving success in higher education for underrepresented students.
SMU School of Nursing graduates the largest number of license eligible students in California. Our expanding nursing programs include a Bachelor of Science in Nursing, a 12-month accelerated BSN, an Entry-level Master of Science in Nursing, and Master of Science in Case Management, Family Nurse Practitioner and Nurse Anesthetist. Plans are underway for a Doctor of Nursing Practice Program.
To apply: Go to link above and look for requisition SMU-0801905