If you need a non-reserve item past its due date, you can renew it once for an additional loan period if no one else is waiting to borrow it.
To renew, call the Circulation Desk at 510-869-8900, bring the item to the Circulation Desk anytime the library is open, or follow these steps:
1. Go to the library’s catalog, enter your standard SMU username and password in the box labeled "Log In to Your Account," then click the "Log In" button.
2. You'll see a list of what you currently have checked out.
3. To renew a single item, click the "Renew" link for that item.
4. To renew all of your items, click the "Renew All" button at the bottom of the list.
5. Items that you've already renewed once will display "Not renewable" instead of the "Renew" link.
6. Don't forget to click the "Log Out" link at the top right of the screen to close your record.