Bachelor of Science in Nursing Freshman Entry
The BSN program is offered in cooperation with Holy Names University, Oakland, Mills College, Oakland, and Notre Dame De Namur, Belmont. This program allows students multiple options to secure the liberal learning and science courses required as the foundation for professional nursing education. For admission to the Samuel Merritt University BSN program, completion of the previous course work with a "B" average (3.0 GPA) or better is strongly recommended, and attainment of a score at or above the national average on the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) is strongly recommended. Successful completion of a criminal background check is also required. Prospective students should consult the catalogs of these respective colleges for admission requirements and courses to be taken.
Samuel Merritt University will continue to admit direct entry transfer students from the community college and other universities on a space available basis in fall and spring. The admission is as a first semester junior and it will take 4 semesters to complete the program. Below are the admission requirements and prerequisites necessary for consideration. These are subject to change without notice.
PLEASE JOIN US FOR A 3-DAY SUMMER SEMINAR FOR BSN STUDENTS
Underrepresented students (African American, Hispanic/Latino and male) are invited to participate in a 3-day summer program, Nursing Success! Seminar. Please click here for more information <http://www.samuelmerritt.edu/nursingsuccess>
Virtual Drop-Ins Now Available - Join a BSN online chat room for TRANSFER DIRECT ENTRY BSN STUDENTS
We are pleased to offer virtual drop ins to prospective BSN students. This is for TRANSFER DIRECT ENTRY BSN STUDENTS and is not intended for students already enrolled in one of the partnership schools. You are welcome to virtually “drop in” and ask quick, general questions of an Admission Counselor. This is entirely online. Dates and times are:
Please note that all times are Pacific Standard Time (California time zone).
January 24th, 2014 11-noon
February 7th, 2014 11-noon
March 7th, 2014 11-noon
March 28th, 2014 11-noon
Please click here for more information about the VIRTUAL DROP INS. After you have reviewed the general chat information and are ready to start the chat (see dates and time above), click here to join the chat.
Applying For Admission
The fall entry deadline is March 1; the spring entry deadline is September 1. These are considered postmark deadlines. Applications may begin to be filed beginning two months prior to the application deadline, keeping in mind that it is to your advantage to include as many available grades as possible with the application for admission. For example, with the postmark deadline of March 1 for fall entry, you should wait to submit an application until your fall grades are available. After the deadline, applications may be accepted on a space available basis. Contact the Office of Admission for further information once the deadline has passed.
The application for the Bachelor of Science in Nursing program at Samuel Merritt University can be printed directly from our website. Please see: http://www.samuelmerritt.edu/admission/application.
For a representative Application/Admission Processing Timeline for fall 2013, please click here.
To be considered for admission, prospective students must meet the following criteria:
- A minimum of 66 semester units of transferable work, including all prerequisites by the time of entry into the program
- While there are no minimum GPAs required for admission, it is strongly recommended that applicants have a 3.0 or higher on prerequisite courses
- At least one term with a minimum of 9 semester or 14 quarter units of academic courses completed in the past two years
- The TEAS is used in the admission decision process and must be taken before the deadline and the results must be available at the time of application review.
- If the TOEFL is required, a minimum internet based test (iBT) score of 100, with a speaking score of 26, is required.
- Letter of reference
- If you have attended a nursing program at another college or university, a statement explaining your reasons for seeking a transfer will be required. Additionally, a letter from the Dean or Director of your nursing program indicating that you are in good standing and eligible for continued enrollment in the nursing program will be required.
- CPR - Basic life support certification at the healthcare provider level from the American Heart Association or AHA approved course earned prior to the start of classes.
- Writing Sample
For a list of FAQs, click here.
All prerequisites must be completed by the start of the program and may be in progress or planned when the application for admission is submitted. It is not possible to complete any prerequisites concurrently with the BSN program. The following prerequisites must be completed with a "C-" or better and can only be repeated one time:
- Human Anatomy with Lab*
- Human Physiology with Lab*
- Microbiology with Lab
- Chemistry with Lab (minimum of 4 semester units; biochemistry content preferred but not required)
- English Composition (equivalent to English 1A)
- English Literature/Critical Thinking (equivalent to English 1B or English 1C)
- Interpersonal Communication (a public speaking course is not acceptable)
- General Sociology or Cultural Anthropology
- General Psychology
- Life Span Developmental Psychology (content to include all ages, i.e. birth through death)
- Fine Arts (Theory) Class (example: Art History or History of Music; not painting or piano)
- Introduction to Philosophy, Ethics or Bioethics (one class only)
- 1 Humanities elective (example: Humanities course, religious studies, foreign language, theory courses in art, music or theatre, or an additional philosophy course)
- American History (any time period)
- Modern World History (1865 to Present)
- Course in Diversity/Ethnic Studies (Course in culture, race or ethnicity. Generally taught in a social science department.)
*These courses are often taught at Samuel Merritt University, please check the home page of the website for current information.
Prerequisite Course Equivalencies At California Community Colleges
Please check here for equivalent course prerequisites at California Community College.
Admission Statistics Admission Statistics about all of SMU's programs are available on our statistics at a glance website.