Transition to Professional Nursing Practice
Please note that we are not accepting applications at this time. Applications and information for Spring 2016 will be available in October 2015.
- Increased clinical competence of each participant based on an individual learning plan to continue new graduate professional development.
- Guided deliberate practice of RN clinical responsibilities.
- Increased breadth and depth of understanding of the healthcare delivery system.
- Enhanced employability of new graduate RNs.
- Complete this application and submit with the following documentation -
- Professional resume with education, work, and any healthcare related volunteer experience.
- In a short essay discuss what motivated you to become a nurse and how your passion for nursing fits into to the vision and values of the facility you would like to be placed in?
- State any restriction on your participation, for example, you are unable to work a certain shift or a specific day(s) of the week, you are unable to commute more than 25 miles, etc. Failure to state restrictions on your participation could result in ineligibility for the program.
- Identify the type of unit you would like to be placed on and describe how you came to this decision.
- If accepted, must submit to Samuel Merritt University Office of Admission, by specified deadline, a non-refundable $50 processing fee payable to Samuel Merritt University.
- If accepted must submit, by August 10, 2015, documentation of all preclinical requirements for Samuel Merritt University and the partnering clinical facility, e.g. BLS-HCP, immunizations/positive titers (varicella, hep B, MMR, etc.), 2 step PPD, proof of health insurance.
- No tuition will be charged for participation in the program. This is a student experience not a paid position. However, to cover some of the program costs, the program fee will be $700.00. We seek funding to cover the cost of this program with the intention to reimburse you, however, no other financial aid is available and this funding is not guaranteed. If you are accepted into the program, the $700 fee will be due on or before Friday August 14, 2015.
- Admission is for this course only, and is not indicative of future admission to a Samuel Merritt University program.
- Application and supporting materials must be received by 11:59pm on June 21, 2015. All applicants will be notified of their status the week of July 21-25, 2015. Orientation for the program will be on July 31, 2015 from 10am-2pm. Please clear your calendar for this date in anticipation of possible acceptance.
When submitting materials it is best to put them all in one pdf document and send them in one email. If you are unable to send application materials in a single pdf, send them as word docs/pdfs in as few files as possible in a single email. Sending multiple emails increases the chance of your documents being lost.
Submit application and supporting materials via email to: