Guide to Receiving Benefits

Step-by-Step Guide to Receiving VA Education Benefits

  1. Apply for admission to SMU, if you haven't already.
  2. Provide a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) letter to the Veterans Resource Center (VRC).  Your COE indicates your GI Bill entitlement chapter... 30, 31, 33 post 9/11, 35, 1606 or 1607.  If you haven't applied to the VA, go to Step 3.
  3. Apply for VA Education Benefits if you've never received the GI Bill at another school.
    1. Create your account and apply through eBenefits at:
    2. Are you applying for the Survivors' and Dependents' Education Assistance Program (Chapter 35)?
    3. If so, you may be eligible for the Children of Veterans Tuition Grant (CVTG)We strongly encourage you to review the CVTG Fact Sheet and submit an application to the State of California if you feel you meet the eligibility criteria.
  4. Read the GI Bill of Student Rights and Responsibilities thoroughly.  Sign, date and return this form to the VRC.
  5. Students transferring to SMU from another institution must notify VA of the change of program/place of training (VA Form 22-1995).  Use your eBenefits account to submit the change request.
    1. Email a copy of the confirmation and summary page to the VRC at


Link to USDVA for Benefit Descriptions

More Links

Request more information

Vestibulum id ligula porta felis euismod semper. Nullam id dolor id nibh ultricies vehicula ut id elit. Sed posuere consectetur est at lobortis. Donec sed odio dui.