The wireless networks on campus support most wireless devices (802.11 a/b/g/n) and are available to all Samuel Merritt University account holders and guests.
Wireless network names (SSIDs) are currently available at all Samuel Merritt University campuses:
smu_lawn is the on-campus wireless network available to all SMU computing account holders. It employs an encrypted authentication protocol called 802.1x and all wireless traffic between your laptop and the wireless access point is encrypted. Once you configure your laptop and authenticate onto smu_lawn, your wireless connection will auto-associate with all SMU access points. This wireless connection doesn't require reentering your credentials after initial sign on.
Please locate your campus and corresponding network SSID from the table below. Follow the directions listed replacing smu_lawn w/ your campus network SSID.
- Steps to Connect to SMU LAWN via Windows 7
- Steps to Connect to SMU LAWN via Windows 8
- Configuring Windows Zero Configuration as the Default Wireless Manager via XP
- Connecting to SMU LAWN with Windows Zero Configuration via XP
- Connecting to SMU LAWN via XP Intel PROSet/Wireless
- Connecting to SMU Secured Wireless network (Mac)
- Connecting to SMU LAWN via Mac OS 10.6
- How to Connect to SMU Lawn via your iPhone/iPad
- Configuring Android to Use Encrypted (WPA-E) Wireless Services at SMU
(If your smartphone isn't an Android or iPhone, please contact your wireless provider with the following information: SSID= smu_lawn, EAP Method = Select PEAP, Phase 2 Authentication = Select MSCHAPV2, for both CA certificate and Client certificate, leave as N/A )
smu_wifi is the wireless network available throughout the campus and it uses the same authentication protocol as smu_lawn - 802.1x. All wireless traffic between your laptop and the wireless access point is encrypted. This wireless connection does require reentering your credentials each time you authenticate with the network. Please follow the instructions below on how to authenticate to smu_wifi.
SMU Guest Network
smu_guest is the legacy wireless network that is available to all and the wireless traffic between your laptop and the wireless access point is not encrypted. The SMU Guest Network is a web-based wireless network with limited bandwidth and offers no encryption with an active session time out of 60 minutes. It is set up for Guest of SMU or for those with devices not capable of supporting 802.1x.