STARTING THE NEW SEMESTER
Empty course shells are generated a month or two before a semester begins. Courses will automatically appear on your Courses list provided the Office of the Registrar has you listed as the assigned faculty (faculty-of-record) and you are enrolled as faculty in the course in PowerCampus. Students are auto-enrolled shortly after they have registered. Here's a short checklist of things to do when you're preparing for the new term:
- Enroll other Faculty and TAs that will need access to your course
- Copy content from another Canvas course
- Change home page layout
- Customize the Navigation menu - To prevent confusion, hide menu items that you are not using in your course.
- Post an introductory welcome announcement - Consider using video and/or audio.
- Use Student View - To double check things are set-up the way you intended and confirm what your students will see.
- Publish your course - Your students will not have access to your course until you publish it.
Note: Some of the links above are from our SMU Faculty Online Canvas Training Course. This is a useful resource for helping you find your way around Canvas. All faculty are auto-enrolled in this course.
ENDING THE SEMESTER
Course content in Canvas will be available to students long after the current term; courses appear on the Course list under My Courses or Past Enrollments. In order to move a course to your students' Past Enrollments list, the course must be concluded. This can be done on a system level or manually. When a course is concluded, students will continue to have read-only access to it. At the end of a term, it is important that you give some consideration to what content will continue to be available to your students. For example if you allow students to view responses or answers from online quizzes, then consider changing your settings before you conclude a course.