|Component Type||PC (Windows OS)||Apple (Mac OS)|
|Operating System||Windows 7 or newer||Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) or newer|
|Memory (RAM)||4 GB or higher||4 GB or higher|
|Hard Drive||100 GB or higher||100 GB or higher|
|Office Suite||Office 2010 Professional or newer||Office 2011 for Mac|
|Antivirus Software||Required for on campus students. Strongly recommended for everyone else||Required for on campus students. Strongly recommended for everyone else|
|Optional Accessories||CD/DVD drive. External hard drive. Extra power cord. Headset/Headphones/earbuds||CD/DVD drive. External hard drive. Extra power cord. Headset/Headphones/earbuds|
|SMU Purchase Programs||Visit Dell||Visit Apple|
- Laptop or Desktop? Whichever you choose depends on your personal preference and work style though laptops tend to offer more flexibility.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: Chromebooks (Chrome OS) and iPads (iOS) do not meet the minimum requirements for coursework at SMU, nor does the Microsoft Surface RT. These offer limited functionality and do not work with some course technologies. They are not acceptable as the only device you use for coursework. While these devices are convenient and may be utilized for some course functions they cannot be your primary device.
- Antivirus software: Check with your ISP as they may offer antivirus software free of charge to subscribers.
- Optional Accessories:
- Many laptops on the market today do not include CD/DVD drives. While SMU typically does not utilize CD/DVD content, this is a good accessory to have.
- External Hard Drive – it is always a good idea to back up your files and an external hard drive is a great way to do that.
- Extra power cord – if you have a laptop and are frequently on the move, many people find it useful to have a second power cord – one for home and one for your bag.
- Headset/Headphones/earbuds – many SMU courses include audio and video content. These will make viewing and listening easier. A headset with a microphone can be useful for digital communication. Headset with microphones are priced for less than $50, at your favorite office supply store.