Requirements for BRN/NCLEX

Thank you for your interest in Samuel Merritt University.  We receive many inquiries from Internationally educated healthcare professionals who have been instructed by the California Licensing Boards to contact us about taking one or more classes to be eligible to take the Licensure Exam in California.  Over the years, we have been able to accommodate some students in our classes.  In order to assist you in getting the required courses, please complete the following steps:

  1. Please click here for the application to use if you are an internationally trained nurse, needing to take class/es to meet BRN requirements to take the NCLEX.  Please print the application, complete it and return it to the address indicated on the form.
  2. Attach a copy of the letter from the Board of Registered Nursing or Other Licensing Boards
  3. For a list of Frequently Asked Questions, please click here

Once we have authorized you to take classes you will need to complete the addition steps below in preparation for clinical rotations. Please note that as a non-matriculated student you will not be eligible for financial aid.

  1. Criminal background check:

A criminal background check is required to attend clinical. Please click on the following link to initiate your report:
Questions: Call Customer Service at 1.888.666.7788


  1. Health insurance:

Health insurance is also required to attend clinical. You can either enroll in one of Samuel Merritt University’s (SMU) insurance plans or waive SMU insurance if you have a plan of your own. You can find your health insurance web page at as well as the online forms to waive or enroll. If you have not received this acceptance email within five days after your submission, please contact our insurance consultant Daryl Hall at 888-978-8355.


  1. CPR Certification:

Certification must be from the American Heart Association and be the Basic Life Support BLS module (must include adult, infant and children).  You may go to any provider for these classes but the University has a partnership with HeartStart CPR including discounted pricing.


  1. Required health forms:

Every student must complete the linked Health packet as well that specifically details your medical requirements. These documents should be submitted to Student Health as soon as possible, using the following link: Student Health Form.  All information must be either, faxed to 510-869-6212, postal mailed or hand delivered to the Health and Counseling Center located at 3100 Telegraph Avenue, Oakland, CA 94609. (If you are attending one of our learning centers, you may also scan and submit your documents.) Due to privacy best practices, unencrypted email of documents is discouraged.


If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us.