It's important that you assess, plan, organize, and schedule your video recordings one term in advance. Completing and uploading your videos 3-4 weeks before the beginning of the term will allow you to review and embed videos, test the links to them, and publish your Canvas course on time.
Here are A&II’s recommendations to help you have your videos ready in time for the start of the term:
- Import your old course into your new Canvas course. All media content, including Panopto video embeds, is automatically copied, so you don't need to update video links.
- Review the course, checking all your videos for relevance, accuracy, and currency. If you need any new videos, or any existing videos need to be updated via re-recording, contact A&II for guidance or recording assistance three months before you’ll be publishing your course.
- If there are videos you won't be using, remove them from your Canvas pages and assignments.
- If you won't be using a Panopto video again but want to archive it for reference, you can move it to the "My Folder" Panopto folder once your students no longer need access to it.
- If you won’t be using a Panopto video again and want to delete it from Panopto permanently, please note that deleting a Panopto video is permanent and can't be undone. If the video you want to delete is a shared Panopto video in your Canvas course, you'll need to consult with the video owner about updating, moving, or deleting the video from the Panopto Library. Contact A&II for assistance with this.
- For help moving videos to another folder, see these guides (text) (video)
- For help using subfolders to organize videos, see these guides (text) (video)
- Record any new videos.
- Learn about the types of videos you can create and timeline requirements.
- Plan to finish recording 3-4 weeks before the start of the term.
- Upload any new videos to your course Panopto folder. For assistance, see this tutorial: (text) (video)
- Embed the Panopto videos in Canvas. For assistance, see this tutorial: (text) (video)
- Before you publish your Canvas course:
- Do a thorough final review of your Canvas course from Student View.
- Click all pages and assignments to verify that links are working properly.
- Play all videos to verify that embedded videos are properly linked.
- As soon as you publish your Canvas course, post this announcement to Canvas, making sure to include the link:
Before you access Panopto videos for this course for the first time, follow these important steps: https://www.samuelmerritt.edu/files/aii/panopto_canvas_issues.pdf