Canvas Support - If you have difficulty with any functions within Canvas, please review these help resources for support.
SMU IT Helpdesk – Contact for non-Canvas technology questions.
Turnitin Resources and Support including tutorials on how to submit a Turnitin assignment, how to view Turnitin results, and how to interpret the similarity report.
Viewing Rubrics in Canvas
- How do I view the rubric for my graded discussion?
- How do I view the rubric for my assignment? This does not apply to quizzes, exams, or YouSeeU assignments.
Viewing instructor feedback in Canvas
- How do I view rubric results for my assignment?
- How do I view annotation feedback comments from my instructor directly in my assignment submission?
Technology Resources - for software and hardware discounts and a list of well-tested apps for desktop and mobile that can help you with your studies.
Contact Vitalyst for Software Support
- 24/7 Phone 1-877-897-8107 and online support: https://www.samuelmerritt.edu/information_technology/vitalyst.
- Microsoft, Apple, Android, Adobe products, and much more! Here is a complete list of products supported: SMU Help Desk is partnering with Vitalyst to provide 24/7 support
Technology Requirements – Students should ensure they have all appropriate technology requirements prior to beginning the program. In addition to the technology requirements, online MSN students should also have a web camera and a headset.
Bookstore: Call 510-879-9287 or visit SMU Campus Store/Bookstore
Call 510-879-9290 or visit John A. Graziano Memorial Library
Librarians Sarah Naumann (Thursdays) and Leia Casey (Mondays) are available until 8:00 p.m. PST to assist you with your research needs. They can help by phone or Adobe Connect. They recommend making a research appointment by contacting them at email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 510-879-9290.
Online MSN Student Support
including a 5-minute video that explains each resource in more detail.
Here are some highlights from the Resource Guide:
- Peer Tutoring: We offer subject specific tutoring for most courses as well as peer support for writing. You can also connect with a peer to discuss best practices for stress management as well as the use of technology (e.g. navigating Canvas, digital note taking, best apps for studying, etc.). If you are interested, please fill out the Tutor Request Form and we will get back to you with further instructions.
- Smarthinking Nursing/Allied Health Online Tutoring: Smarthinking provides 24/7 access to highly trained online tutors who provide students with content-specific support (including writing) in a wide variety of Nursing and Allied Health subjects.
- Writing Support Resource Guide: This guide offers many resources for self-learning as well as information about submitting your writing for individualized feedback. You can also contact the Writing Support Staff to make a writing-focused coaching appointment.
- Personal Academic Coaching: Learning assistance is available on an appointment basis for any student seeking guidance in developing effective study and test taking strategies. Contact Katherine LeRoy to make an appointment or get more information: email@example.com, (510) 879-9200 x7302
- Academic Success Video Library: This video archive offers academic success videos on many different subjects such as time management and test taking, as well as a 5-minute Quick Tips video series.
Please get in touch with any questions or to refer students for coaching/tutoring.
Student Support Manager - Need help with course registration, finding resources at SMU or understanding the curriculum? Contact the MSN Student Support Manager at: StudentSupportSMU@crm.samuelmerritt.edu
Faculty Advisor - Each MSN student is assigned an academic advisor. Your faculty advisor is available to discuss concerns about your instructor or academic experience and career questions. You can find the name of your faculty advisor by logging into your SMURF account or by emailing StudentSupportSMU@crm.samuelmerritt.edu.
Online Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP) for programmatic and curriculum information about this online post-professional MSN program.
Research & Writing Support
Writing Support – Academic writing is a challenging activity for most graduate students. We strongly encourage online students to take advantage of the available writing support. All students can receive two hours of support through SmartThinking online tutoring. If you need more than two hours, contact mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
APA Resources – The School of Nursing requires students to use APA formatting for all academic papers and projects (unless otherwise directed by the instructor). Click http://www.vanguard.edu/psychology/faculty/douglas-degelman/apa-style/ for APA guidelines and more information about the APA Publication Manual.
Scholarly Writing in Science compiled by Dr. Audrey Berman, dean of the School of Nursing.
Scientific Writing FAQs - Community Learning Series (41:55) by Dr. Michelle Hampton
Your instructor – Your instructor is your first point of contact if you are struggling in a course. Contact your instructor to share your concerns and seek assistance.
Tutoring – Tutoring is available to all online students and is a great way to get additional help with course topics.
Additional Academic Support Resources – Academic Support Services provides tutoring and a variety of services to all SMU students, including online students. Services include information and online and on-campus workshops about learning strategies, study skills, time management strategies, test-taking strategies, writing strategies, dealing with test anxiety and many other topics. Many on-campus seminars and workshops are archived online so online students can easily access them.
Community Learning Series – These workshops, which are archived online for students who cannot attend the on-campus events, spotlight the best practices in study management and learning strategies, extend and expand on the classroom curriculum and promote wellness and inclusivity in the faculty and student body. All students are encouraged to attend the on-campus events or view the workshop series online.
Disability Resource Center
Samuel Merritt University recognizes disability as an aspect of diversity that is integral to society and to the campus community. It is the policy and practice of Samuel Merritt University to create inclusive learning environments. The Disability Resource Center (DRC) works with students and faculty to create accommodations when necessary to provide equal access to University services and facilities. If you would like to discuss disability-related needs, please contact the DRC for a confidential appointment at email@example.com.
Study Skills Information - Learning assistance is available on an appointment basis for any student seeking personal analysis of their learning methods and guidance in developing effective learning strategies. Contact Academic Support and Disability Support Services to make an appointment or learn more.
Institution Policies, Information & Resources
Student Health and Counseling (SHAC) - Online students can reach out to SHAC for help with securing referrals to medical and psychological services in their local communities.
School of Nursing Feedback forms - We welcome student input. Please send your suggestions for improvement to our programs.
Office of Diversity and Inclusion – Strives to foster a culture of service, inclusion and excellence at SMU by creating a strong sense of belonging for all campus members, educating a diverse and culturally responsive healthcare work forced, developing culturally competent leaders that reflect community demographics, and working to reduce healthcare disparities in underserved communities.
The SMU Newsroom – We encourage online student to keep up with the latest news and events at SMU.
Committees - Students are invited to join the Curriculum, Evaluation, or Student Committee. Contact Ellie Hoffman at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Business & Financial Services
Business Office/Student Accounts – Contact for questions about tuition bills, payment options, and preparing a budget for tuition related expenses.
Navigating the Financial Aid Portal Check out our electronic portal.
Office of the Registrar – Contact for academic calendars, course schedules, transcript requests, address and personal information change forms and other student records questions. To discuss course registration, contact the Student Support Manager at StudentSupportSMU@crm.samuelmerritt.edu.