SMU uses a variety of qualitative and quantitative data as indicators of engagement in a vibrant cutlure of assessment. They include:
- Faculty Engaged in Assessment and Continuous Improvement of Teaching and Learning
- Learning Outcomes Aligned at the Assignment, Course, Program and Institutional Levels
- Policy Change
Faculty Engaged in Assessment and Continuous Improvement of Teaching and Learning
- 70 poster or podium presentations assessing student learning at SMU were viewed at Improving Teaching with Technology Symposiums in 2013-2016. (See all reports)
- Faculty engaged in other areas of scholarship of teacihng and learning and assessment.
Learning Outcomes Aligned at the Assignment, Course, Program and Institutional Levels
Assignments are linked to Course Learning Outcomes in Canvas. As part of a pilot project in collaboration with Academic & Instructional Innovation faculty have embraced aligning Course Learning Outcomes in Canvas LMS after only 4 months of training.
Percentage of Assignments linked to Course Learning Outcomes:
- 74% = Doctor of Physical Therapy
- 61% Master of Science: Family Nurse Practitioner Online
Faculty changed the definition of Scholarship to include the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning at SMU. Scholarship of Teaching and Learning is now considered part of the criteria for promotion.
Director of Assessment
3012 Summit Street, First Floor, C Wing
Oakland, CA 94609
510-869-6511 ext. 5358