Fusae Abbott, RN, DNSc, is the Director of the Case Management Program. Over the past 40 years, Dr. Abbott has practiced as an RN and taught nursing in both Japan and the USA. Under her leadership, the SMU CM program has produced about 300 Masters-prepared RN graduates in the CM track.
Dr. Abbott has been involved in several research projects. The projects related to CM practice are:
1) “Evaluation of the CM Orientation and Mentorship Program for MSN-prepared New Graduates,” in collaboration with Wendy DeVreugd at Kindred Healthcare, Inc.;
2) “Improving Transition from Hospital to Home,” which was a pilot evaluation of the one-year implementation of the Sutter Transitions of Care program in collaboration with Jan Van der Mei at Sutter Health Sacramento Sierra Region;
3) “Clinical and Financial Impact of the Pharmacy Therapeutic Benefit Change (PTBC),” implemented in 2008, which was a clinical and financial analysis of the PTBC at SutterSelect Health Plan;
4) “Effectiveness of Chronic Disease Self-Management Program in Japan: Preliminary report of a longitudinal study,“ in collaboration with colleagues at Tokyo University in Japan (Nursing and Health Sciences,12, 456-463.);
5) “Factors related to rehospitalization.”
N601: Research Methods
N607: Program Evaluation and Quality Improvement
N620/620L: Case Management
N605/606: Synthesis Requirement
2000 - Present : Implementation in Japan of the Chronic Disease Self-Management Program (CDSMP), which was developed by the Patient Education Research Center at Stanford University.
In 2001, published a Japanese translation of the textbook used for this program (Kondo, F. 2008, (Translation) [Living a healthy life with chronic conditions: Self-management of heart disease, arthritis, diabetes, asthma, bronchitis, emphysema, and others (3rd ed.) written by Lorig, K. et al. (2006). Bull Publishing Company] Tokyo: Kango Kyokai Shuppankai (ISBN978-4-8180-1333-9).
Conducted a study to evaluate the effectiveness of the program and published an article (Keiko Yukawa, Yoshihiko Yamazaki, Yuki Yonekura, Taisuke Togari, Fusae K. Abbott, Mieko Homma, Minjeong Park, Yumi Kagawa (2010). Effectiveness of Chronic Disease Self-management Program