SMU students, faculty, alumni, and community supporters plan on partnering with Hands for Americas to return to Batata in during 2019.
Have questions, review our 1 page FAQ for answers (updated for 2019)!
TO SIGN UP FOR A 2019 TRIP, please complete this short survey. Watch your email closely for follow up emails asking for additional information (to book flights) and confirmation and payment schedules.
- Watch your SMU email for details as fundraisers are confirmed!
- If you have ideas for fundraisers or would like to sponsor a fundraiser to support our trips to Panama, please contact us!
You may make donations directed to specific students/volunteers, make a general donation to support the group, or donate an eco-stove directly, securely via the Hands For Global Health website (www.handsforglobalhealth.org/shop/). All donations are tax-deductible and as a donor you will get a receipt to use for tax purposes.
- April 19-27, 2019
August 16-24, 2019
- Passport Information: You must have a valid passport (good for at least 6 months from trip departure date). Information about applying or renewing a US Passport is availabe at http://travel.state.gov/passport/. You will need to submit a copy of your passport at least 1 month prior to departure, so please plan accordingly. US Passport holders do not need a visa to travel to Pamana. If you are not a US Passport holder, due to recent events regarding immigration we cannot recommend that you come on the trip, as we cannot guarantee your safe re-entry to the US.
- Health & Immunization Information: We will discuss this more at one of our meetings
- CDC information: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/clinician/mission_disaster/panama
- Panama is a country with confirmed cases of Zika virus. Please consider this when planning your trip.
- Malaria prophalaxsis is recommended, please discuss with your travel medical provider well in advance of your trip.
- Packing & Equipment Information: Suggested packing list and tips; specifics and coordination of group supplies will happen at a meeting prior to departure.
- FREE Online Spanish Course: SMU faculty/students can learn some Spanish before going to Panama for free! Details are available here: http://www.samuelmerritt.edu/students/canopy
[page updated 3/13/19]