Job Summary: The position manages the daily operations of the RN to BSN program and provides administrative support to the program’s leadership, faculty, staff, and students. This includes anticipating needs, carrying out policies and procedures, implementing decisions and action plans established by the program chair, and assists faculty and students, as necessary.
The position reports to the program chair and may supervise student workers, as necessary.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
(NOTE: All duties below constitute “essential job functions” for ADA purposes.)
30% General Administrative Support
- Provide general administrative support to the RN to BSN program
- Serve as the first point of contact for internal and external constituents
- Refer student requests to appropriate administrators, faculty and staff.
- Handle confidential and critical information such as employee documents and student health information.
- Function as staff liaison between RN to BSN program and all appropriate SMU departments, academic-practice partners, and external agencies
- Take minutes for program meetings, as appropriate
25% Program Support
- Assist in scheduling meetings and activities for the RN to BSN program
- Make appointments and maintain calendars for the RN to BSN Program Chair, as directed
- Assist with development of, and edits to, program student handbook and other program documents and reference materials
- Assist with and maintain accreditation and general files, both hard copy and electronic files, in accordance with SMU document retention guidelines
- Provide information to institutional research for various annual and ad hoc reports
- Develop and implement systems for tracking program data
- Communicate with faculty regarding teaching assignments
- Submit classroom requests for Oakland courses and collaborate with personnel on other campuses, as needed
- Assist with maintaining current student documentation for ongoing compliance requirements of training, licensure, and health and safety mandates, as appropriate
- Provide administrative support for clinical and preceptor assignments
- Support the process of clinical site and preceptor evaluation through appropriate record keeping
- Process and verify that all invoices, check requests, honorarium paperwork and payments, payroll adjustments, purchase requisitions, and P-Card expenditures are accurate and posted to the appropriate cost center and account
- Review and track expenses against cost center balances as appropriate
- Assist with the annual budget planning process, as directed by the program chair
20% Human Resources Management
- In conjunction with the manager of faculty recruitment, assist with faculty and staff searches, as directed by the program chair
- In conjunction with the manager of faculty recruitment, assist with the new hire onboarding processes and the progression of all new faculty and staff hires through that process
- Create faculty instructional assignments (FIAs) for RN to BSN faculty, as directed by the program chair
- Assist with maintaining current faculty documentation for ongoing compliance requirements of training, licensure, and health and safety mandates
5% Special Events
- Assist with organizing and scheduling special events, including but not limited to, orientations, program completion ceremonies, graduations, large meetings, retreats, and open houses
5% Other Duties and Special Projects, As Assigned
Special projects assigned, as necessary
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The items below are representative of the knowledge, skills, abilities, education, and experience required or preferred.
This position requires the ability to effectively establish and maintain cooperative working relationships within a diverse multicultural environment.
• Knowledge of general administrative software applications such as Microsoft Office products, Adobe, Outlook email, etc.
• Knowledge and understanding of university services, operations, policies, and procedures highly preferred
• Knowledge of general computer applications and systems
• Self-starter that takes initiative and independently develops solutions
• Strong leadership and evaluation skills
• Excellent interpersonal, communication (written/oral), and negotiation skills
• College-level reading, writing, and mathematical skills.
• Read and carry out written instructions
• Understand and carry out verbal instructions
• Use good judgment and creative thinking to solve problems
• Handle privileged information in a confidential manner
• Organize and prioritize workload
• Speak professionally and effectively with co-workers, public and student populations
• Associates Degree, from an accredited institution required
• Bachelor’s Degree, or higher, strongly preferred
5. Years of Experience
• Minimum of 3 years work experience in an administrative role
• Experience working in an academic setting, preferred
• Typical office environment.
• Mostly indoor office environment with windows
• Offices with frequent interruptions
Physical Requirements :
• Considerable time is spent using a computer
• Use telephone and other electronic equipment used in general university operations
• May be required to travel to other buildings on the campus
• May be required to attend meetings within California locations
Direct Reports :
• May supervise student employees, as necessary
The University has an institution-wide commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. We strive to build a welcoming and supportive campus environment, and acknowledge that diversity is an educational imperative to achieve excellence.