The Vice President of Student Affairs (VPSA) is the chief student affairs officer of the university. Reporting to the president, the VPSA provides executive leadership and vision for the division of student affairs. The Student Affairs Division facilitates student recruitment, admissions, learning experiences and supportive environments in which students can achieve their maximum potential through the provision and continuous improvement of student engagement opportunities and student support services. The VPSA provides the leadership required to create a campus climate that fosters student success, holistic support, equity and inclusion, and maintains high standards of service. Additional roles include working with faculty, staff, and other institutions of higher education and campus partners in planning and implementing projects congruent with the strategic priorities and mission of the university. The VPSA provides leadership and vision in student life, marginalized student support, enrollment management, including admission, retention, records, student affairs, student health, financial aid, and support for students with disabilities and diverse backgrounds. As the chief advocate for students on the university’s senior leadership team, the VPSA ensures that the quality of the student experience remains central to all conversations and major decisions.
Duties and Responsibilitiesinclude the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1.Leads the development of strategic planning for the Division that aligns with University mission and strategic goals and priorities. 5%
2.Serves on the President’s Cabinet, the University Administrative Council, and other committees as required by their respective charters. 5%
3.Creates a vision centered in equity and social justice that supports the holistic identity of students leading to successful academic, career, and personal development by implementing policies and programs to enhance student experience, promote student success, address student behavior, and advance an equitable campus climate. 10%
4.Develops enrollment-marketing research, tuition pricing strategies, and recruitment plans and analyses for all current and prospective academic programs in cooperation with the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, and academic program and department chairs. 15%
5.Develops internal systems for operations within the Division, meets/exceeds the annual enrollment goals, leads implementation of programs, services and projects, promotes staff professional development and maintains measurable evidence of staff success. 20%
6.In collaboration with department heads, develops and oversees budgets and resources for the Division to ensure accountability,effectiveness and efficiency in the division’s operations. 10%
7.In cooperation with department heads, creates a culture of continuous performance improvement and accountability for the division. 15%
8.Collaborates in the development and administration of institutional research efforts, to provide and analyze information about student life, retention, timely graduation, inclusive success, and other related topics to ensure measurable student outcomes. 5%
9.Provides leadership for the university’s crisis management efforts in consultation with the president, campus safety, communications and others to promote a safe and welcoming campus environment; prepares for and manages crises related to student well being and ensures compliance to the Title IX regulations.5%
10.Provides education and counsel to the university community regarding current trends and major issues affecting students at both the national and institutional levels. 5%
11.Represents the university within the higher education academic community at professional meetings, civic, alumni andother professional associations or organizations. 3%
12.Serves as appeal body for dispute resolutions involving students’ behavioral issues. 1%
13.Perform other duties as requested by the President.1%
•Assistant Vice President
•Director of Financial Aid
•Dean of Admissions
•Executive Assistant to the VPSA
• Knowledge of student affairs, including enrollment management, admissions, tuition pricing strategies, student development and services, and best higher education practices, research, and policies.
• Ability to create a campus climate that supports and includes students coming from marginalized and disadvantaged backgrounds. Ability to interface successfully with persons of various social, cultural, economic and educational backgrounds.
• Experience creating a strategic vision and guiding complex organizations to recruit, enroll, and support students.
• Knowledge of technology, data base management, integrated student information systems, and other reporting systems.
• Demonstrated problem-solving skills.
• Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills.
• Strong leadership, management and teamwork skills.
• Ethical, creative, analytical, energetic, entrepreneurial, and goal oriented.
• Ability to work effectively in multi-task, multi-faceted environment while managing others.
• Strong understanding of contemporary student issues and values, and the ability to develop a natural rapport with students and student leaders.
• Demonstrated ability to facilitate partnerships among academic programs and other divisions of the university.
Education and experience:
• Master’s degree required.
• Ten years of progressively successful student affairs and enrollment management experience as a dean or director.
Physical effort required:
• Basically, sedentary desk work, however, must be mobile.
• Light lifting, up to 20 pounds required.
• Ability to talk, expressing and exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word.
• Ability to write, expressing and exchanging ideas by means of the written word.
• Auditory ability to receive detailed information through verbal communication.
• Dexterity of the hands and fingers for keyboarding tasks.
• Ability to push, pull, climb, stoop, bend, stand, and have flexibility of the upper and lower body.
• Ability to rent a car and driving required.
The University has an institution-wide commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. We strive to build a welcoming and supportive campus environment, and acknowledge that diversity is an educational imperative to achieve excellence.