Contract Specialist (CS) works independently and proactively to ensure all contracts are in compliance. The CS serves as the primary liaison between Samuel Merritt University (SMU) and Sutter Health (SH) General Counsel, monitoring compliance, policies and procedures. In addition, maintains compliance with all State and Federal laws and policies. CS will serve as a resource for SMU staff and faculty to provide information and advice on contract procedures and policies.
Job Duties and Accountabilities:
An Asterisk (*) denotes an “essential job function” for ADA purposes.
- Review and process all contracts
-Provides organizational consistency, acquires and maintains appropriate signature approval and legal review for all SMU contracts.
-Responsible for the maintenance of the SH contract database (TractManager) and the SMU database system.
- Verify proper paperwork; SMU checklist, federal forms, insurance, and licensing requirements and all necessary forms for independent contractor agreements
- Forwards vendor agreements to SH Office of the General Counsel for legal review and approval
- Generate and distribute certificates of insurance.
- Work closely with staff and faculty clinical coordinators across academic programs. Works with external agencies and administrative offices of SH to ensure regulatory compliance.
Other duties as assigned
Skills and Abilities:
- Mathematical and analytical skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to function in an atmosphere of frequently changing priorities and multitasking
- Knowledge of computer systems and complex database management programs
- Discretion, tact, problem solving skills, and the ability to work as a team player
- Must be able to work independently in a team setting
- Must be highly organized and detail-oriented
Education and/or Experience:
- High school diploma required; Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Understand contract language, have intimate knowledge of contract language and contract style guides
- Paralegal experience a plus
- Three to four years of broad experience in positions of increased responsibility, preferably in an academic setting
- Experience with record management and contract law helpful
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The University has an institution-wide commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. We strive to build a welcoming and supportive campus environment, and acknowledge that diversity is an educational imperative to achieve excellence.