Analyze organizational growth strategies and business plans to support senior executives and the Board in making major decisions and achieving Samuel Merritt University’s strategic goals. Conduct research, collect information and prepare analyses to inform business planning. Analyze effectiveness and progress of newly implemented plans. Develop and document detailed financial models in Excel that forecast performance and capital requirements for new initiatives and analyze alternative capital structures. Support project management and metrics to successfully implement and evaluate complex projects carried out by multi-disciplinary teams. Assist with market research related to new initiatives. Prepare presentations to senior management and Board.
Job Duties and Accountabilities:
An Asterisk (*) denotes an “essential job function” for ADA purposes.
30% - *Obtain and analyze financial data to develop robust financial forecasting models with well-documented assumptions for decision support at senior leadership and Board. Key areas for modeling are SMU’s strategic plan, capital plan, campus plan, and start-up of new programs. Models should include sensitivity, break-even, and cost-benefit analyses.
15% - * Work with academic and administrative teams and conduct market research as needed to define anticipated business requirements, costs and revenues associated with planning and operating new academic programs and related ventures for inclusion in financial models.
10% - * Draft business plan narrative and presentation materials documenting assumptions, implications, and results.
25% - * Develop, track and analyze operational metrics to report progress, performance, variances, and significant trends relative to forecasts.
10% - * Recommend actions and process improvements to strengthen long-term and project planning. Provide support to Budget Director, as needed and understand the budget software, VENA.
Other duties as assigned
Skills and Abilities:
- High degree of proficiency with MS Office (Excel, WORD, PowerPoint, Outlook); demonstrated experience creating complex financial models and analyses with Excel. Advanced Excel and PowerPoint skills.
- Knowledge of and experience with efficient technological tools and methods for planning and analysis.
- Knowledge of capital and operational planning
- Detail oriented with ability to understand the broader context of planning and strategy.
- Able to build and sustain collaborative relationships with content experts and administrative leaders.
- Excellent written and verbal communication/presentation skills.
- Strong mathematical aptitude and analytical skills.
- Ability to work autonomously to execute analyses within project scope.
- Ability to understand and document business requirements.
- Demonstrated organizational, project management, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work in a remote environment.
- Well organized, with highest standards of accuracy and precision.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, economics, or related field from an accredited institution required. MBA preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant finance experience, ideally in a corporate planning and analysis function or professional services consulting firm.
- Knowledge of or experience in higher education is desirable
- Able to sit and work at computer keyboard for extended periods of time
- Able to stoop, kneel, crouch, bend at the waist, and reach on a daily basis
- Able to perform general office administrative duties (copying, filing, using telephone)
- Able to lift and move up to 25 pounds occasionally
The University has an institution-wide commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. We strive to build a welcoming and supportive campus environment, and acknowledge that diversity is an educational imperative to achieve excellence.