A PubMed My NCBI account will allow you to save your PubMed searches and citations in the cloud. Create a My NCBI account to save your searches and citations, and then customize this account to limit and link to SMU and free journals.
This guide will help you set up a My NCBI account, create a custom filter and set up icons to limit and link your results to articles immediately available to you as free full text or through the SMU Library. You can learn more about other saving searches and citations, creating alerts, highlighting your search terms and other My NCBI functions with these short My NCBI video tutorials.
Note: You must complete all 4 of these steps in order to link to SMU resources.
Step 1: Login or set up your My NCBI account
Step 2: Link the "Find It @ SMU" button to your account
Step 3: Create a custom filter to limit search results to SMU journals and free full text
Step 4: Use these customized settings in your PubMed searches
- Go to the PubMed home page.
- Click on Sign in to NCBI.
- Login if you have an account.
- Or Register for a NCBI account to create your My NCBI account.
- You’ll see your login name in upper right corner when logged in.
- Click on My NCBI to get to the My NCBI "dashboard."
- Click on NCBI Site Preferences.
- Click on Outside Tool, under PubMed Preferences.
- Click on the letter "S."
- Click the radio button for Samuel Merritt University.
- Click the Save button.
You have now linked the "Find It @ SMU" button to your My NCBI account. This will allow you to link to SMU journals, free full text or the article order form for articles that are not available at SMU Library.
- Click on Filters & Icons, under PubMed Preferences.
- Click on Create Custom Filter.
- Copy and paste this text into the Query Terms box:
loprovcasmclib[Filter] OR free full-text[sb]
- In the Save Filter As box, name this SMU + free full text.
- Click the green Save Filter button.
You have now created the SMU + free full text filter. This will allow you to quickly filter your search results to articles immediately available as free full text or in the SMU Library.
- Click on PubMed link to start searching.
- Click Display settings.
- Click the Abstract button.
- The Find It @ SMU button will now be visible.
- Use the "SMU + free full text" filter to limit your search results to articles quickly available through free sources or the SMU Library.
Questions? Ask your SMU Librarians!