Applications for Summer and Fall 2015 are now open!
Family Nurse Practioner Program Options
|Program Options||Program Length||Campus Offerings|
|Master of Science in Nursing, Family Nurse Practitioner (MSN FNP)||20 Months||Both|
|Doctor of Nursing Practice, Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP DNP)||Three (3) years||Both|
|Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP) Online||20 Months||Online|
Priority Application Deadlines:
|Campus||Start Term||Application Deadline||Number of Seats Available|
|Oakland||Summer- Early May||January 1||18|
|Sacramento||Fall- late August||January 1||18|
*Applications may be accepted after the deadline date on a space available basis. Please contact the Office of Admission at (510) 869-6576 for more information.
Online Advising Sessions
We are pleased to offer virtual drop ins to prospective FNP students. You are welcome to virtually "drop in" and ask quick, general questions of an Admission Counselor. This is entirely online. Please click on a date and time below to join the chat! Please CLICK HERE for more information about the VIRTUAL DROP INS. After you have reviewed the general chat information and are ready to start the chat click a date and time above to join the live chat. Brief details are below.
PLEASE NOTE: All time is listed in Pacific Standard Time (PT).
OCT-13-2014 3 pm- 4 pm PT
NOV-03-2014 2 pm- 4 pm PT
NOV-21-2014 10 am- 12 pm PT
DEC-05-2014 11 am-1 pm PT
General Campus Tours of Samuel Merritt University
Summer time tours of SMU are back! These tours are not program specific, but will give an overall experience of SMU. These walking tours last about one hour and comfortable shoes should be worn. Because these tours are student led and are dependent on student schedules, advance reservation is required.
Please click here to sign up http://www.samuelmerritt.edu/admission/campus_tours
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Baccalaureate in nursing (RNs with degrees in other fields will be evaluated individually)
- Current California RN license
- Clinical practice experience; 12 months is preferred, not required. Experience in your BSN program will be considered.
- Two letters of reference addressing your clinical expertise and academic preparation for the program.
- MSN, FNP Option: Successful completion of a statistics course with no expiration.
- DNP, FNP Option: Successful completion of a statistics course within the most recent three (3) years. Courses maybe completed at a regionally accredited community or four year college, online, or by completing a CEU S101 and S201. Credit must be completed by the start of the program.
- TOEFL (U.S. citizens or international students) - The need for TOEFL will be assessed based on information provided by applicants on the application for admission, if required, a minimum score of 100 (internet based test) must be achieved and official score results must be provided.
Transfer Credit into the Master of Science in Nursing, Family Nurse Practitioner Program
We accept up to 9 units of graduate credits from another MSN program. We will consider applicants with more than 9 units of completed MSN coursework on a case-by-case basis and this must gain approval from the Chair of the FNP program, Academic Vice President, and Registrar. All students must complete a minimum of 30 Residency units with Samuel Merritt University in order to receive a degree or certification from our University. All students will complete specified FNP units to receive their MSN, FNP degree/certification from Samuel Merritt.
Process for transfering credit consideration into Samuel Merritt
- Complete the Transfer Credit Petition
- Review the Samuel Merritt Catalog to decipher which Samuel Merritt courses meet those completed in your MSN program.
- Submit this form with copies of your transcripts and syllabi along with your application for the MSN, FNP program.
- Upon review of your application, the Chair of the FNP program and Registrar will determine which of your credits are transferrable.
- You will receive communication from the Registrar regarding their decision.
Once you have the items below ready, please go to the online application to apply.
- Copies of all college transcripts (please include legends if available); it is okay to upload copies of your unofficial transcripts. Official copies will be required upon acceptance into the program.
- $50 non-refundable fee.
- Uploaded goal statement (1-2 pages, typed, double spaced)
- Copy of your resume
- Contact information for the persons submitting your letters of reference
- Copy of RN license
- Copy of additional certifications you want considered with your application
For those who have received a baccaluareate, master's, and/or doctoral degree outside of the United States of America, your transcripts must be evaluation for United States equivalency through completion of a comprehensive report or course-by-course evaluation. Please go to NACES for accredited and approved companies that provide this service.