Sutter Health's Ascend Business Process Management system allows Sutter Health and SMU employees to report personal out-of-pocket expenses for reimbursement. While this system is readily accessible from SMU campuses, it is not accessible through the public internet. To accommodate SMU employees with off-campus work assignments who also incur business expenses, the Ascend site has been made available through the virtual private network.
To access Ascend from off campus
- Make sure to be connected to the internet.
- Click on the following link https://sslvpn.samuelmerritt.edu/
(note that this will work with Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Google Chrome on your PC, Mac, or tablet)
- Select smu_employee_vpn from the ‘Group:’ drop down menu
- Enter your SMU credentials to log in.
- Upon successful login, select ‘Continue’
- Click on Web Applications
- Click on Ascend Web Portal, or type ascend.sutterhealth.org in the space above (next to http://)
- Log into the Ascend system with your Sutter Health username ID and password (to learn how to use Ascend, we highly recommend that you take the Ascend Web-based training).
To access Ascend from on campus
There is a computer available for traveling faculty in Room #302 (Karin Kasper's office) and in the Computer Lab at the San Francisco Peninsula Campus for use.
1. Go to www.samuelmerritt.edu
2. Type "Ascend" in the search box
3. Click on Sutter Health Employee Resources OR this link http://www.samuelmerritt.edu/mysutter_links
4. Scroll down and click on Travel / Expense Ascend in the column on the left hand side.
5. Log into Ascend
Make sure to scan and submit all necessary documents (i.e. toll/parking receipts). For Fastrak, indicate this in the notes box.
Complete the Mileage Report to be submitted as supporting document.