Student Occupational Therapy Association
The Student Occupational Therapy Association (SOTA) is a non-profit student-run organization that promotes professional development and public awareness of occupational therapy. SOTA achieves these goals through participating in community outreach, providing leadership opportunities, networking, engaging in advocacy, fund raising and promoting social activities that encourage leisure and connections among students.
Annual SOTA Events
- MOT Welcome Back BBQ and Buddy Pizza Party (August): Social activities to promote connections between first and second year students and welcome new students to the MOT program.
- OTAC Annual Conference (October): An advocacy opportunity to promote occupational therapy and foster connections between current students and policymakers, practicing occupational therapists, faculty, and other students and professionals. Usually held in either Northern or Southern California each year.
- Friends and Family Day (TBD): A public awareness and fund raising event that includes presentations by OT faculty, a silent auction, information about the OT program, and tours of the Samuel Merritt University campus.
- Occupational Therapy Month (April): Throughout the month of April, various events are held on campus as well as in the community to promote the occupational therapy profession, including Backpack Awareness Day.
- AOTA Conference (April): An educational opportunity to connect to professionals and students from around the country and learn about issues of national importance. SOTA sends one representative to attend the Assembly of Student Delegates meeting.
- Camp Bennett (July): SMU students are welcomed as volunteers at this summer camp for children who have weakness of one side of the body due to brain injury. The camp employs the Constraint-Induced Movement Therapy model, which encourages children to use their weak hand.
- Camp Winning Hands (August): This camp provides children with congenital hand and upper limb differences an opportunity to connect and play, and also provides educational opportunities for families and caregivers. Funds raised by SOTA are donated to this camp, run by SMU professor Ginny Gibson, every year.
|Co-Presidents||Rachel Eakin, Kris Meadows & Kristina Tufts|
|Vice Treasurer||Tiffany Wong|
|Student Faculty Liaisons||Ana Adam + Josh Stoudt|
|Media Relations Committee|
|Historians||Kristina Tufts + Desiree Cruz + Kristina Veasley|
|Public Relations||Charlene Iroanya|
|Fundraising Committee||Zoya Hadi + Anamaria Adam|
|Social Committee||Joanna Williams & Jackie Wineholt, Joanna Pluhowski, Antonia S.|
|Community Outreach Committee||Maggie Tatevosyan & Cristina Pompa, Brenna Taunton, Laura Trimble|
|Professional Development||Melodie Thompson & Jen Hsu, Kristina Tufts, Vi Canio & Bianca Codilla|
|Student Body Association Representatives||Kamran Husain + Stephanie Hendson|
Meeting Times and Locations
1st and 3rd Thursday of the month from 12:30 PM to 1:30 PM. Location to be announced via e-mail to current students. All students are welcome and encouraged to attend SOTA meetings and events.