Resources for OT Fieldwork Educators
- The American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA) offers many resources to support Fieldwork Educators. The AOTA website, www.aota.org provides many useful documents that can be downloaded, including:
AOTA also answers frequently asked question, which can be accessed at http://www.aota.org/Education-Careers/Fieldwork/Answers.aspx
- resources for establishing a new fieldwork program
- sample weekly learning objectives for fieldwork students
- sample student evaluation forms.
- site specific objectives - http://www.aota.org/Education-Careers/Fieldwork/SiteObj.aspx
- The AOTA Fieldwork Educator Certificate Program is a 2 day workshop that has been designed by the American Occupational Therapy Association. The workshops include many hands-on learning activities and are taught by a team of instructors, including an Academic Fieldwork Coordinator and a Fieldwork Educator. Both new and seasoned Fieldwork Educators have found this course to be immensely beneficial. Samuel Merritt University was honored to host a workshop in November, 2011. Information about future workshops can be found at http://www.aota.org/Education-Careers/Fieldwork/Workshop.aspx#sthash.viioG1xl.dpuf
- Annual Fieldwork Educators' Collaborative Meeting: Northern California's occupational therapy education programs (San Jose State University, Dominican University of California, City College of Sacramento, and Samuel Merritt University) jointly present an annual educational program to Fieldwork Educators. The meetings provide a forum through which communication about student preparation, education program changes, Fieldwork Educators' needs, and continuing education related to fieldwork education can be exchanged. This meeting usually held in May, June or July each year. Please contact Beth Ching email@example.com or Donna Breger Stanton firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about these annual meetings.
- The Fieldwork Manual for Samuel Merritt University's Master of Occupational Therapy Program is a comprehensive resource about the fieldwork education program at Samuel Merritt University. Fieldwork Educators may find Chapter 7 (Useful Information for Fieldwork Educators) and Chapter 8 (Learning Styles and Learning Contracts) to be particularly helpful. (Download the Fieldwork Manual)
- The Master of Occupational Therapy Curriculum at Samuel Merritt University: Fieldwork Educators can view the content and sequence of students' academic coursework online at http://www.samuelmerritt.edu/occupational_therapy/curriculum
- Excellence in criteria for Fieldwork Educator from AOTA webpage: http://www.aota.org/Education-Careers/Fieldwork/Supervisor/Excellence/Fieldwork-Educator.aspx
- Fieldwork Learning Objectives At Samuel Merritt University, both Level I and Level II Fieldwork are academic courses with course learning objectives. Fieldwork Educators will find it beneficial to review the specific learning objectives for Level I Fieldwork and Level II Fieldwork prior to a student's arrival at their fieldwork site.
- Employee Injury Procedure must be followed by students injured on the job. Please see attached for more information.