The following represent foundations and organizations that provide scholarships to the LGBT community. Click on the links to learn more.
- The Point Foundation provides scholarships in varying amounts to undergraduate, graduate, and post-graduate students. Of particular attention are those students whose sexual orientation has led them to be isolated and/or abandoned by family, friends, and separated from traditional support systems.
- LGBT Asian American students living in the Bay Area: the George Choy Memorial Scholarship/Gay Asian Pacific Alliance Award gives out $1,000 to an outstanding student.
- Joseph Towner Fund specifically encourages students of LGBT parents in the San Francisco area. Again, 2-$1,000 scholarships are awarded to students that can prove positive support for alternative families, but who have nevertheless faced significant social or emotional challenges because of it. (Undergrad only)
- Human Rights Campaign has a scholarship database by state. (Kaiser offers several health related scholarships.)
- PFLAG—National Scholarships: Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) is a nationwide non-profit organization that raises awareness of the issues in health and well-being of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender persons. In 2011, PFLAG awarded 19 scholars. Awards vary from $5,000-$1,000 and are available to individuals who identify themselves as LGBT.
- League Foundation—Student Scholarship: The League Foundation is an organization dedicated to providing financial support to those of the LGBT community so they can achieve their dreams of higher education. They have awarded over 93 scholarships and awarded 7 scholarships in 2011 ranging from $2,500-$1,500. Applicants must identify as LGBT and be enrolled at an accredited institution, college, university or trade school.
- Gamma Mu Foundation Scholarships: The Gamma Mu Social organization has a rich history of “Good men making a difference”. They have worked for over 40 years to develop an open community for gay professional and business executives. The scholarship of $1,500-$2,500 is awarded to gay men under the age of 35 who have exhibited leadership and involvement in the gay community. The recipient must be enrolled in an accredited institution, college, university or trade school.
- LGBT Heart Scholarship: This scholarship awards LGBT students whose concentration of study is in the health sciences. The fund hopes to award individuals who have a record of excellence in the health science field and who display commitment in the LGBT community. Four $2,000 awards are presented each year. Applicants must identify as LGBT and be pursuing a profession in the health sciences.
- Show College Pride With These LGBT Scholarships - Article in USNews.com
- Equity Foundation Scholarships
- National Organization of Gay and Lesbian Scientists and Technical Professionals
- Financial Aid for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgendered Students - FinAid
- The Tang Scholarship - Mr. Edward C. Tang established this award in 2007 to provide financial assistance to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (l/g/b/t) Asian and Pacific Islanders (API) for post-secondary Education.
Click here to go back to the SMU Pride Committee homepage.