Veterans and dependents must begin the process by submitting the appropriate application to the VA. After completion of the online application, print a copy, and submit it to a certifying official.
- Find out what benefit you are eligible for and select - http://www.gibiII.va.gov/apply-far-benefits/road-map/1-determine-your-best-benefit.html
- Notify the VA that you want to collect VA benefits by applying online - http://www.gibill.va.gov/apply-for-benefits/
- Print out completed application and submit a copy to the certifying official or provide copy of your VA Certificate of Eligibility.
- Military students are encouraged to apply for their benefits well in advance of anticipated enrollment to avoid unnecessary delays. When applying online, we recommend you have your DD Form 214 and banking information available.
- Non-transfer new students applying for benefits for the first time should file the "Application for VA Education Benefits (Form VA 22-1990)."
- Transfer students and continuing students who change programs within SMU should file the "Request for Change in Program or Place of Training (Form VA 22-1995)."