Post-9/11/ GI Bill® (Chapter 33)
- Tuition and Fees
- Payment is made directly to Samuel Merritt University by the VA on behalf of the veteran.
- Scholarships awarded specifically for tuition will be deducted first before using Chapter 33
- Samuel Merritt University will refund the veteran the overpayment.
- Basic Housing Allowance
- A monthly housing allowance is paid directly to the student at the beginning of each month for the previous month.
- The monthly housing allowance paid equals the DoD's Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) for an "E-5 with dependents" at the zip code of the school. You can find the BAH rates at www.defensetravel.dod.mil/perdiem/bah.html.
- For more information on how your BAH is paid please go to: BAH Housing Allowance for Ch 33
- Books and Supplies
- Paid directly to the student when the school's enrollment certification is processed. The stipend pays $41.67 per unit certified. The maximum stipend is $1,000 per academic year
Break Pay between semesters
The VA is no longer issuing "break pay." The monthly housing allowance will only be paid for the days when classes are in sessions. Veterans can expect smaller payments at the beginning and end of semesters as most start and end in the middle of the month.
Veterans are generally entitled to 36 months of benefits. Rate of Pursuit determines the number of months deducted from your entitlement for the length of the semester. VA calculated rate of pursuit by dividing the number of certified units by the number of units considered full-time by the school.
*Please note the following:
- To receive your maximum entitlement you will need to be enrolled as a full time student. Being certified for less than full-time will prorate your monthly housing allowance.
- The Post 9/11 GI Bill® does not require monthly attendance verification by the veteran.
- Veterans who have used Chapter 30 entitlement will only receive the number of months remaining under their entitlement.
- Veterans who exhausted their Chapter 20 entitlement and then apply for Chapter 33 will receive up to an additional 12 months of chapter 33 entitlement.
Monthly Verification (Chapter 13, 1606, 1607)
Active duty veterans and reservists must verify their enrollment at the end of each month or the very beginning of the new month to receive their monthly payment. To verify your enrollment online go to VA WAVE website. On this website you can:
- Submit a monthly verification of enrollment
- Report a change in enrollment
- Report a change in mailing address
- Change a direct deposit
- View current benefit information
- Sign up for a monthly reminder message