This program is designed to enhance the abilities of new graduate registered nurses who have experienced difficulty securing RN employment. The program leverages the strengths of Samuel Merritt University (SMU) School of Nursing in collaboration with California Pacific Medical Center (CPMC) in the provision of classroom, laboratory, and clinical experiences, which serve to build on the prelicensure education of new graduates as they move into professional practice roles.
- 12 week session; 24-32hrs/week, including 8hrs didactic, simulation, or project work every 2 weeks.
- Curriculum provided, building on prelicensure competencies.
- Skills assessment at program start will guide an individualized learning plan for each participant.
- Participants share the patient care assignment of an RN preceptor, based on the RN's schedule. Assignments on all shifts are based on opportunities offered by CPMC. Placement is determined by a number of factors including experience during prelicensure program preceptorship.
- Participants who meet all the program requirements receive a certificate of completion from SMU. BSN credit provided. BSN participants may earn MSN credit for completing a graduate level project.
- Have an active and unrestricted CA RN license by application deadline.
- Graduate of a school of nursing since 2012 (BSN and ADN pursuing BSN preferred).
- U.S. citizen or documentation of authorization to work in the U.S.
- Have exhausted all usual opportunities for new RN employment. Current or previous paid RN employment in an acute care setting negates eligibility for this program.
- Able to work a flexible 24-32hr/week schedule.
- Previous completion of another Transition to Practice Program negates eligibility for this program.
For application information, please visit the application page.