Samuel Merritt University is pleased to announce our Nursing Success! Seminar for Summer 2014. The goal of the program is to introduce underrepresented, prospective students to the profession of nursing and to the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) and Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing (ABSN) programs offered at Samuel Merritt University. This will be done through two simultaneous seminars:
Track 1 for: BSN Direct-Entry: Underrepresented, pre-nursing students at California’s Community Colleges. This is for prospective students who may be interested in applying to the direct entry transfer BSN program.
Track 2 for: ABSN: Underrepresented students who already have (or will have) a bachelor’s degree in a non-nursing field and who may be interested in applying for the Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing (ABSN) program.
The Nursing Success! Seminar will be held on the SMU campus in Oakland, CA, June 10-12, 2014, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
|April 30, 2015||Application deadline (postmark)|
|May 6, 2015||Notification of selection|
|May 12, 2015||Participation form due to SMU|
|TBA||Nursing Success! Seminar|
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE?
- Track 1: Participants must have completed a minimum of 24 semester units of coursework at a California Community College
- Track 2: Participants must have or be planning to earn a Bachelor’s degree in a non-nursing field
- Participants must have a demonstrated commitment to achieving a BSN and to becoming a RN.
- Preference in participation will be given to those who self identify as African American/Black or Hispanic/Latino.
- Although the Nursing Success! Seminar is for both women and men; preference in participation will be given to those who self identify as male.
- Preference in participation will be given to those who have demonstrated a strong college GPA (usually considered a 3.0 or higher)
- Participants must commit to participate in the entire program.
- Participation will be capped at 20 per Track.
There is no cost for the 3 day seminar. Seminar participants will be asked to cover their travel and parking expenses to and from SMU. Snacks and lunch (daily) will be provided for all participants.
HOW DO I APPLY?
The Nursing Success! Seminar application and letter of recommendation is available here. The receipt deadline for the application and all supporting materials is April 30, 2015. Please submit everything in one envelope. A completed application consists of:
- Completed short answers
- Letter of recommendation
- Unofficial copies of all college transcripts
Mail everything in one envelope to:Samuel Merritt University
Office of Admission
3100 Telegraph Avenue, Suite 1000
Oakland, CA 94609
ATTN: NURSING SUCCESS! SEMINAR
You will be notified by May 6, 2014 about your participation in the Nursing Success! Seminar. Notification will be by email.
WHAT KINDS OF THINGS WILL TAKE PLACE DURING THE NURSING SUCCESS! SEMINAR?
While the agenda is still being finalized, here are some things that may be included:
- Nursing Today - What does it mean to be a nurse in today's changing health care environment?
- Admission and financial aid workshops for both Track 1 and Track 2.
- Panel/Questions/Answers with currently enrolled SMU nursing students
- One-on-one admission counseling appointments
- Supporting Cultural Diversity at SMU
- Tour and demonstration of the SMU state-of-the-art Health Sciences Simulation Center
- Essay preparation and test taking tips
- Applying for admission at SMU
- International Nursing: A Global Perspective
- Movie time and time at the SMU bookstore
- Completion luncheon and ceremony
APPLYING TO SMU IN THE FUTURE
While attending the SMU Nursing Success! Seminar will not guarantee you admission into the BSN or ABSN program, we hope it will ease some of the stress of the application process. There will be some additional benefits to you should you choose to apply to SMU. These will be discussed during the Seminar.
Dean of Admission