FIST Item Overview
You are now ready to administer the FIST. Remember the following regarding the FIST items:
- There are 14 items in total
- Aside from the 3 nudge items, these items are ordered by difficulty, so have the patient perform them in order.
- Nudges should be randomly inserted into the test by the therapist.
- Multiple attempts for each item are acceptable.
- Especially if the therapist is providing cues, prompts the patient to attempt with/without hands to improve performance, or to ensure full movement through the task.
- Try to limit the attempts of any particular item to less than 2 or 3 to minimize testing effects interfering with the patient's score on that item.
- It is preferable that you score the patient's first attempt, if possible.
- Prior to each individual item:
- Give the patient instructions, and demonstrate the task if needed.
- Reposition the patient as needed before each item so they are in the standard position.
- Recall the scoring criteria; it is the same for each item.
The following pages review each individual test item, and include:
- Description of the item
- Directions to give patient for that item
- Item-specific examples of performance for each level of scoring
- Common questions about performance and scoring specific to the item
- A video clip showing examples of patient performance for at least 2 scoring levels
- maximum score of 4
- either 0, 1, 2, or 3