What is the Occupational Therapy Adult Community Participant Lab?
- An opportunity for individuals with a diagnosed neurological condition to contribute to our students’ education. Some conditions that might bring a client in for services are a stroke, brain injury, spinal cord injury, multiple sclerosis, or Parkinson's disease, for example.
- A student-led program, supervised by licensed occupational therapy faculty.
- A service for the Bay Area community focused on promoting participation and engagement in personal occupations. Personal occupations include activities of daily living such as personal care and home tasks, as well as work and leisure activities.
About the Occupational Therapy Adult Community Participant Lab Program
Our program consists of nine visits, with the first visit being an examination followed by treatment sessions and concluding with a home program and recommended adaptive devices, equipment, and strategies to improve function in daily tasks.
Visits are designed to improve an important area of functioning in the participant's daily life, such as:
- Self-care tasks (dressing, grooming, bathing, using the toilet)
- Home tasks (cooking, dishes, cleaning, bills, etc.)
- Work activities (transportation, use of the computer, endurance, mental focus)
- Leisure tasks (going out to eat, socializing, playing sports, etc.).
- Exercises to improve strength or mobility in order to complete daily tasks
- Recommendation of adapted devices, equipment or strategies to improve function in daily tasks.
Please note: If the main objective is to improve walking, please see the Community Participant Lab offered by the Physical Therapy program.
- Monday afternoons
- Nine 50 minute sessions starting at 1:30, 2:30 or 3:30 pm
- February 3 through April 6, 2020
Eligibility: You are eligible to participate if you
- Have a desire for improvement in an area of daily function such as those described above
- Can commit to attending all scheduled sessions
- Understand that we accept participants on a first-come, first-served basis, in conjunction with the educational needs of our students
How to Apply
Please complete the Adult OT CPL Enrollment Form and return it to us via email*, fax, or mail. The form is a fillable pdf and can be completed on your computer or printed.
Email:OTLab@samuelmerritt.edu Fax: 510-457-4008 Voicemail: 510-879-9200 x7456
Mail: OT CPL, 450 30th St. 4th floor, Oakland, CA 94609
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact us!
*Please note that the enrollment form will contain your personal medical information which is protected by HIPPA. Email is not considered a HIPPA compliant method of communication, however, you may email your form to us if you wish.