Group Classes: Session 1 - Fall 2023 Group Classes: Fridays, September 15th through October 20th Session 2 - Fall 2023 Group Classes: Fridays, October 27th through December 8th Our group classes during the Fall are delivered by 3rd year physical therapy students! The classes take place over a period of six weeks (excluding holidays). During each class, participants will be working directly with students under the supervision of a licensed and board-certified faculty member. Please see below for a description of the different group classes.
- Mama Bear Fitness
- This group class is designed for individuals who are pregnant and who would like to maintain or improve their strength and balance, throughout all stages of pregnancy. As one’s pregnancy progresses, movement and balance become increasingly more challenging, due to weight changes and difficulties engaging the core. Maintaining strength and balance during pregnancy can help prevent hip and low back pain, as well as allow you to feel more confident with daily activities throughout the late stages of pregnancy. This class will include a broad range of strengthening exercises, balance activities, and core exercises appropriate for any stage of pregnancy. Individuals who were recently pregnant are encouraged to register for the class.
- Staying in Motion with Multiple Sclerosis
- This group class is designed for individuals living with multiple sclerosis and will incorporate elements of balance and exercises inspired from classic techniques. The class will include options for seated and standing versions of exercises to improve strength, flexibility, balance, coordination, and range of motion, so that we can accommodate a range of abilities and fitness levels. The class is aimed at increasing overall functional mobility, fitness, and promote an active lifestyle.
- Shadow Boxing for People with Parkinson’s Disease
- Join us for a “punchy” moderate to high intensity group class for people with Parkinson’s! This class series will incorporate non-contact shadowboxing, Parkinson’s Wellness Recovery (PWR!) moves, dual task movement challenges, and high intensity aerobic training. Exercises will be supervised and will include individualized feedback and modifications to suit your fitness goals! This class is appropriate for individuals comfortable walking in the community without a mobility aide (e.g., cane). No boxing experience necessary. Get ready to rumble!
- Feeling Confident: Fall Prevention and Recovery
- Want to feel more confident in your ability to balance in your home and around the community? This group exercise class is designed to educate adults about fall prevention and fall recovery. The class is appropriate for individuals that can walk independently in the community with or without the use of a mobility aid (e.g., cane or walker). The class will consist of low to moderate intensity exercises aimed to increase confidence with balance and reduce the risk of falling. Exercises are inspired from classic techniques and other forms of exercises tailored to an individual’s fitness level and ability.
Pro Bono Offerings at SMU (Oakland) 2024
Session 1 - Spring 2024 Individualized Sessions: Thursdays, January 4th through February 8th
Session 2 - Spring 2024 Individualized Sessions: Thursdays, February 22nd through March 28th
Our individualized sessions during the Spring are delivered by our 2nd year physical therapy students! The sessions take place over a period of six weeks (excluding holidays). During each session, participants will be working directly with students under the supervision of a licensed and board-certified faculty member. Physical therapy sign up sessions are first come, first served.
Priority is given to those with musculoskeletal conditions during the 1st session (e.g., back pain, knee pain, and shoulder pain).
Priority is given to those with neurological conditions or musculoskeletal conditions during the 2nd session (e.g., Parkinson’s Disease, Multiple Sclerosis, and Stroke). Individualized Sessions:
Session 1 - Summer 2024 Individualized Sessions: Tuesdays, May through June
Session 2 - Summer 2024 Individualized Sessions: Tuesdays, June through AugustOur individualized sessions during the Summer are delivered by our 1st year physical therapy students! During each session, participants will be working directly with students under the supervision of a licensed and board-certified faculty member. Physical therapy sign up sessions are first come, first served. Priority is given to those with musculoskeletal conditions during the 1st and 2nd sessions, which include the following: Lower back painHip painKnee painAnkle painFoot pain
Contact Information: Jose L. Reyna, PT, DPT, OCS(510) 879-9200 X email@example.com