If you have a Canvas assignment that requires a video submission using Panopto, follow these steps:
- Upload a video to the Panopto Assignment folder for your course, from your computer by following these steps: (text) (video). (for mac users, recommend using Chrome)
- Or, choose and submit a video previously uploaded to Panopto by following these steps: (text) (video). (for mac users, recommend using Chrome)
- Or, record a new video with Panopto (see Record new video - Panopto Option).
- Submitting using Canvas Media?
If you have a Canvas assignment that requires a video submission using Canvas Media, follow these instructions for uploading or recording a video.
PRIOR TO RECORDING YOUR VIDEOS CONSIDER:
- Decide on the content you'd like to present in your video.
- What is the best format to convey my message?
- Video/audio (head shot) to explain or describe a clinical case (diagnosis, treatment)
- Many video clips (people, locations, in/outdoor) to illustrate a clinical case (diagnosis, treatment), and assembled in one final video.
- Video/audio narrating PowerPoint
- Audio narrating PowerPoint
- Or, just an audio podcast
- If this is a collaboration assignment, how will you film the video?
- What tools do you have for recording?
- Computer webcam
- Computer screen capture (video/audio) - SN
- Mobile device camera
- If this is a collaboration assignment, how will you assemble the video?
- How will you transfer the video clips from your recording device to the computer for editing?
- Can you connect device to computer and import clips?
- Can you AirDrop videos (iOS)?
- Will you add narration?
- Will you add music?
- Does you computer have editing software?
Record new videos (Panopto option)
PANOPTO MAY OR MAY NOT BE THE BEST TOOL FOR RECORDING YOUR VIDEO.
Recommended for recording presentation videos that include audio, or video/audio (head shot), and/or computer screen capture (PowerPoint, document or web browsing on your computer).
- First, install Panopto (PC computer) (Mac computer)
- Then, record the scenario of your choice and check the corresponding settings: (PC) (Mac)
- Or, optionally, record a straight up talk in Panopto and submit the Video Assignment in Canvas.
Edit a Panopto Video (after uploading)
More recording and editing resources
Best practice for recording videos
Frame your shot
- Position your device where light is plentiful
- Light should be above or facing subjects
- Avoid shooting in shadow (light behind subject)
- Choose neutral settings and avoid spaces with lots of distractions
- Use a tripod.
- If you don't have tripod, have someone hold the recording device.
- Capture meaningful activity - adjust camera especially when subject turn their back to the camera.
- Make sure device is always attended, secured on a tripod, or computer is on a solid surface.
- **Position the recording device close enough to capture subjects/activity.
- Avoid placing the camera far, it's best to position the camera as closest possible.
- Practice the widest subject movement and position the camera so that you capture that move, plus one foot.
- Recording with mobile devices - only hold device horizontally (camera always at the top) .
- Recording with computer webcam - tilt screen to adjust camera angle.
- Practice the scenario and movements prior to recording.
Capture optimal sound
- Set your device or computer in a quiet place away from loud sounds, humming sounds, or distracting activities.
- **If you position the camera close enough, you should be able to capture good sound quality from a mobile device.
- If you're recording on your computer mic make sure your recording sound "input" is set close to max.
- If you have an external mic, position it as close as possible facing the subjects (for aesthetics, place mic out of the camera frame visibility; however, audio is more important and if capturing good sounds means having the mic visible, choose sound quality!
- Speak as natural as possible, but remember the mic.
Do a test recording
After framing your shot. Have subjects walk through what they'll do. Make note and adjust picture and audio.
- Adjust frame - Can you see the subjects while subjects move?
- Move camera, computer or mobile device farther or closer to subjects.
- If someone is holding the camera, they should adjust their position closer or father away from subjects.
- Adjust audio - Can you hear the subjects as they move and speak?
- Move computer or mobile device closer to subjects.
- Raise the mic level in your computer or device.
- Speak louder if necessary