SMU is a “100% Bring Your Own Device” University and expects all faculty, staff and students to have equipment that meets or exceeds the standards below and have the technical ability to use it effectively. While technology products must meet required minimum technical specifications users are able to select technology products based on preference for teaching, learning and working remotely.
Community members should use the following technical requirements to guide their selection of a technology package for use during their academic program at SMU. Systems purchased new within the past two years will typically come with the following recommended features.
- High-speed internet connection of 3.0 Mb/s or better
- 2GHz processor or faster
- 8 GB RAM or greater
- 128 GB system storage or larger
- Built-in or external speakers
- Built-in Webcam or external
Supported operating system(s)
- Windows 10 or higher*
- MacOS 10.13 or higher
- Android 8.x (Oreo) and later
- Apple iOS 12.x and later
Unsupported operating system(s)
- Chrome OS
*Microsoft is no longer supporting Windows 7.
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
- Apple Safari
- While Safari is a supported browser, Canvas BBB (Big Blue Button) does not support the use of this browser.
- Internet Explorer
- While Internet Explorer is a supported browser for the SMU Website and works best for those functions, Canvas no longer supports it.
* Students are responsible for updating browsers regularly.